WHAT IS SOFTWARE TESTING?
Manish Kumar Tiwari ( Founder of Grotechminds)
I teach Software Testing at GroTechMinds, I ensure I provide practical knowledge to my students which helps them to perform better in their real Interviews and also when they get a job in the IT industry.
Software testing is an important process in software development that aims to verify that the software meets its functional and non-functional(actual) requirements. It is an ongoing activity that starts from the requirement gathering phase and continues throughout the development lifecycle. The purpose of software testing is to identify any defects, bugs, or issues in the software before it is released to the end-users. This helps to improve the quality of the software and ensure that it meets the expectations of its stakeholders.
Types of Software Testing and its advantages
- Component testing
Involves by testing individual software components or modules to verify that they work as expected.
- Integration testing
The process of testing how different components or modules interact with each other.
- System testing
A comprehensive testing approach that evaluates the software system as a whole, including its functionality, performance, security, and usability, System testing is also known as end-end testing
- Acceptance testing.
It is the final stage of testing that verifies that the software meets the acceptance criteria defined by the stakeholders/end users/customer.
Benefits of Manual Testing and Automation Testing
Manual testing and automated testing are the two main approaches to software testing.
- Manual testing is performed by human intelligence, who manually execute test cases and verify the software’s behaviour. Manual Testing comes up with more errors and provides testable products.
- Automated testing, on the other hand, involves using software tools to automate the testing process. Automation Testing is mainly performed by machine.
Automated testing is typically more efficient and accurate than manual testing, and it can be used to repeat the same tests multiple times, which helps to detect any regression issues that may arise during software development.
One of the benefits of software testing is that it helps to identify and correct defects early in the development lifecycle.
Advantages of Software Testing
- This reduces the cost of fixing defects and improves the overall quality of the software.
- Additionally, software testing helps to ensure that the software meets its functional and non-functional requirements and meets the expectations of its end users/customers.
- It also helps to increase the confidence of stakeholders in the software/product and improve the credibility of the software development team.
In conclusion, software testing is an essential process in software development that helps to improve the quality of the software, detect defects early, and ensure that the software meets the expectations of its stakeholders. There are different types of software testing, and both manual testing and automated testing can be used to achieve the goals of software testing. Effective software testing requires a well-planned and structured approach, and it is an ongoing activity that starts from the requirement gathering phase and continues throughout the development lifecycle.